Child of the Light
Walking Through Advent and Christmas
This eCourse is open for registration.
Course material will be available November 15.
Upper Room author Beth A. Richardson invites you to experience the weeks before Christmas differently this year. “We all need this time of Advent to slow us down, to open our ears to God’s quiet voice, to guide us through the chaos of the consumerist culture that Christmas has become.”
Child of the Light provides tools to help you find your quiet center. Our eCourse invites you to find that quiet center with friends old and new. Enter with Beth into readings and reflections inspired by the season’s carols and hymns. Your spirit will be lifted and your mind quieted. The experience extends past Christmas to Epiphany, encouraging you to live into the joy of Christmas beyond seasonal celebrations.
Our eCourse includes:
- Live times of worship and reflection with Beth each week—online.
- Mondays at 10:30 a.m. Central Time, December 2—January 6. (All sessions will be recorded and available for those unable to be present for the live event.)
- December 23 and 30 sessions will be pre-recorded.
- All daily readings from Beth’s book Child of the Light which offer a brief meditation for each day of Advent.
- Audio recordings of Beth and friends highlighting the carols and hymns of the season
- A space for online conversation
- Everything essential for the eCourse is accessible via computer, tablet, or phone.
Join by yourself and meet new friends. Join as a group of 5 or more, and we'll open a private classroom for your group. For information on private classrooms and group discounts, email us at [email protected]
Beth A. Richardson serves as the director of prayer and Upper Room worship life at The Upper Room and dean of The Upper Room Chapel. She has worked at The Upper Room in various roles, including editor of Alive Now and director of The Upper Room’s website. An Oklahoma native, she is an ordained deacon in the United Methodist Church and is a member of the Mountain Sky Conference. Beth holds a Master of Divinity from Vanderbilt Divinity School and a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from Oklahoma City University. Follow her writings at betharichardson.com.
StartCome, Thou Long Expected Jesus
PreviewSunday: Song Prayer
StartMonday: Advent Hospitality
StartTuesday: One Who Sets Us Free
StartWednesday: One Who Frees Us from Fear
StartThursday: One Who Gives Us Rest
StartFriday: One Who Comforts Us
StartSaturday: Practicing Radical Hospitality
StartShare a Prayer